Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion. Colossians 3:12
What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is a program that equips lay persons to provide distinctively Christian one-on-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life-needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community. Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who:
- express God’s care through their lives to others
- receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts
- are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training
- visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and care
- participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders
- are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship
- serve for at least two years
- receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service
Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
There are times when each of us needs the care of another person, a Christian friend, a Stephen Minister! The needs include but are not limited to:
- the hospitalized
- the terminally ill and their families
- people who move into or out of our community
- those grieving a death or serious loss
- the homebound or institutionalized
- prisoners, ex-offenders and their families
- those with a job crisis
- the aging and elderly
- those with disabilities and their families
- those needing the support of a Christian friend
- those facing life transition
- the separated or divorced
- households experiencing birth or adoption
- those in spiritual crisis
Stephen Ministry is confidential; those receiving care can be assured their identity and the caring relationship will remain private.
Could a caring relationship with a Stephen Minister be beneficial for you?
Call the church office, 928-773-1615, to be scheduled to talk with Pastor Kalib, who oversees the Ministry. It will be determined if a Stephen minister would be appropriate, and if so, an assignment will be made to a Stephen Minister.
Although you may not currently desire to receive this ministry for yourself, we ask for you to see it as one of our church’s ministry to hurting people. Please pray for your Stephen Ministers and if you know of someone hurting in areas like those mentioned above encourage them to give themselves a gift of receiving care from one of our Stephen Ministers. “
The Next Stephen Minister Training is Scheduled to being Fall of 2015.
We also want to know about you if you have gifts that can be used for relational caregiving and want an opportunity to be trained and use them as part of the Harvest Flagstaff Counseling Ministry. As a new Stephen Ministry church, we are committed to training people in the church who have gifts and are committed to using them for Christ’s glory. Stephen Ministry is a one-on-one caregiving ministry that our church is in the process of training our people for. Please let Kalib know if this interests you.